Pages

Wednesday 4 March 2015

A beautiful Swedish silent film

The building I work in was previously a school for blind children, and last night I watched a really beautiful film from 1932 about the school. It can be viewed on the Film Arkivet website here. It's a silent film, so I'd recommend it even if you cannot understand Swedish. There are also some scenes of Stockholm almost 100 years ago, which is really interesting to see.
I was really impressed to see the children doing amazing dance routines, and making things so accurately, despite being blind. Maybe it's just the tone of silent films, but there's something very ethereal and beautiful about it. The children look so happy and seem to have so many opportunities in this film, especially considering that it was a different time then.
For me, it was also very interesting to see places in the film that I see every day. It's strange to think I've probably been in some of the rooms that are shown in the film, and I certainly recognise the outside areas. It's about 20 minutes long, and worth watching. It gave me another chance to practice reading Swedish too!

No comments:

Post a Comment