Pages

Sunday 1 March 2015

Louise Bourgeois at Moderna Museet


Today was a very exciting day because I finally went to the Louise Bourgeois exhibition at Moderna Museet. I've been looking forward to this since I found out about it last September, and although it's been on for two weeks I waited until today because I planned to see it with some others. It was definitely worth the wait!
The artist is one I find very interesting, and I'm able to draw inspiration quite a lot from her work. There was a huge amount of work in the show, and I think it's an exhibition you could happily see more than once. What I've always really liked about Louise Bourgeois is that her work spans across a lot of disciplines and media, but with a common theme bringing it all together, and I really admire such versatility.
Her versatility is really evident in this show, and featured some methods that I'd not even seen from her before, which just impressed upon me even more the variety within her work. I really feel that anyone could see this show and find something that they like.
The last exhibition at Moderna Museet, Skulptur Efter Skulptur, was quite minimal, and I hoped that this would not be the case with this show. Louise Bourgeois' work comes across as so rich and deep, so I'm not sure a very small show would work. I feel like her work needs to be emphasised, and thankfully this was quite a large show. We didn't even look at the permanent collection and were still at the gallery for a couple of hours. Walls had been set up within the room so that you kind of moved in a spiral, and it gave the impression of getting further into the artist's psyche. As her work is intimate, and at times explicit, this seemed to make sense with it. The show felt kind of intense, but I think that really worked well. Once again, Moderna Museet has not disappointed me.


The other really cool thing about my day was the people I went to the exhibition with. I found a group for female artists and creatives in Stockholm, which was only established fairly recently, and it was so nice to meet other creative people here. Obviously it's important to make like-minded friends, but there was also a lot of discussion about formally setting up some kind of creative collective, actively arranging group shows here together, and looking for opportunities. Networking is such a big thing in Stockholm, so I've really been aiming to meet other artists and creative people, especially because I'm new here and there must be so many people with much more experience within art in Stockholm, and Sweden as a whole. Even though there were only a few of us there today we already found some parallels between the work that we make, even if our mediums differ. That's cool in itself as we are from different countries and backgrounds, but still have common concerns that transcend that.
Everyone seemed to be equally motivated to search for opportunities together, and I'm really looking forward to hanging out with these people again and hopefully developing our ideas a bit more. Seeing as there are several nationalities involved we may even be having international touring exhibitions before you know it! I'm really happy I met these people, and I hope that the ideas we talked about today get pushed forward. I feel like this was a big step in the right direction in terms of developing my career here, plus I got to see an amazing exhibition. So all in all it's been a very successful day, and it's just a shame that the weekend is pretty much over!

No comments:

Post a Comment