Pages

Sunday 15 March 2015

Påskmust?

A couple of days ago I had the slightly dubious joy of tasting påskmust for the first time. Påskmust is a traditional Easter soft drink in Sweden, and is basically exactly the same as Julmust, a Christmas drink, but with a new label. I understand that it's much more commonplace around Christmas. Swedish people take it quite seriously. Uncle Wikipedia tells me that in December 45 million litres are consumed!
So in my endeavours to understand this country I tried a bit. It was odd. I don't know if I liked it or not. It had quite a strong flavour and seemed very fragrant, to the point that it felt a bit like drinking a bottle of perfume. The bottle that I was offered had gone flat, so maybe it's better when it's still fizzy.
It wasn't entirely unpleasant, but I think it might be an acquired taste. I'm certainly willing to try some again, but I do wonder if I could manage to drink a whole bottle. A few sips was enough for my first time.
If anyone in the UK, USA, or Canada is keen to try this, you can apparently buy bottles from Ikea during the Christmas period. The påskmust I had came from Ikea, but I don't know if it's sold abroad around Easter. I think this is one I'll have to come back to to make up my mind. My housemate says that another brand is better and I should taste that instead. Perhaps by the time it's Christmas my tastes will have adapted a bit and I can join the rest of Sweden in guzzling it.



No comments:

Post a Comment