Pages

Saturday 23 May 2015

Alcohol

I've been back from London for almost a week now. It was a bit depressing that when I left England the sky was blue with no clouds, and I then landed in Västerås to some quite depressing weather. Thankfully now it seems to be back to sunny weather here.
Today is the most important day of the year - Eurovision! I'm looking forward to it, but disappointed that Finland is not in the final because I always vote for them on principle. I'm having a small party tonight, and that meant that today it was time for my very first trip to Systembolaget! Systembolaget is the Swedish alcohol retailer, very similar to Alko in Finland. Although Sweden does not have the same restrictions as Finland in terms of only being able to buy alcohol during certain hours, it is more strict in that only light beer can be sold in supermarkets, so to buy full strength beer you need to go to Systembolaget. I don't have alcohol in the house that often, and even then I don't mind having lighter beer, so it's never come up to go to Systembolaget before.
The opening hours are a bit annoying - at weekends it's between 10am and 3pm. I was only buying a few drinks, but everyone else seemed to have baskets absolutely full of drinks. As the hours are inconvenient, and maybe it's not open on Sundays, I suppose people need to stock up.
Supermarkets usually just sell a basic range of domestic beers, and I was impressed by the variety in Systembolaget, with drinks from a lot of different countries. I went for Belgian fruit beer, and English Brewdog beer.
That brings me nicely to the next alcohol related point. My colleague and I have been a couple of times this week to the Brewdog bar in Fridhemsplan. Brewdog is one of my favourite bars in London, so I was very happy when I found out there was a bar here too. It's certainly not disappointed me - I can buy my favourite beer, it looks a lot like the bar in Camden, which I didn't have a chance to go to last week, and is generally quite comfortable. It's another of those little pockets of English in Stockholm - the staff are English and Swedish, depending on who you speak to they may automatically speak in either Swedish or English, the menu etc is in English, and I had a very nice chat with one of their staff who turned out to be from Norwich. As it's already one of my favourite bars in London I think it has now automatically become one of my favourite bars in Stockholm.
And to end on a European theme because it's Eurovision day - my workplace has the flags of the member states in our auditorium, and I noticed that the flags of the UK, Finland, and Sweden were conveniently grouped together. So yesterday, at the end of a very busy week, I could be found fannying around with the flags of the three countries that are most significant for me. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment