Pages

Tuesday 6 January 2015

Fatal errors


I suppose it's only natural that we're going to make some silly mistakes whilst we're here, especially whilst we're getting used to the language. I probably made plenty in Finland too, I just can't remember them.
First mistake: Last night in the supermarket my boyfriend said "Look, they have apricot juice!" I'm not sure why I didn't question this, seeing as he can't read Swedish. I didn't know the word "kräm", and assumed it must be another word for juice. So we bought the juice, opened it at home, and discovered that we'd actually bought a litre of apricot puree! We ate some of it out of sheer stubbornness, and there was nothing wrong with it, but it's definitely not fruit juice. We were a bit confused about why anyone would actually need a litre of apricot puree, we tried to google it and it seems to be a product for baking. So now we have a litre of puree and we're not sure what to do with it. Lesson learned.Second mistake: This morning I decided to write a speculative job application in Swedish - prior to this I've been writing applications only in English. I wrote it, felt pretty happy with it, and sent it off. Every other time I've written in Swedish off the top of my head I've then checked what I've written in a translator to be sure there are no errors. You'd think this would be especially important for a job application, but for some reason I did not do this, and as soon as I had sent it I realised that rather than saying I had customer service experience I'd actually said I had experience in art dealing! So I'm assuming that the application won't get very far, but if they read my CV I hope they'll realise that this was just a language mistake. Especially as the company has absolutely nothing to do with art!

No comments:

Post a Comment