Pages

Wednesday 14 January 2015

More progress

It seems that this week is becoming quite a successful week for me! As mentioned yesterday, Kai and I have begun to make some new friends here, which I think makes a big difference to feeling comfortable in a place. This morning there has been another positive development for me.
The job hunt has not been going particularly well this week - neither of us have been finding many new opportunities to apply for, and this week I've mainly been sending off speculative applications. That's better than nothing, but the chances of actually getting a job out of it are much slimmer. It's been getting quite frustrating, but we can't lose hope. Whilst I was looking for new sites that might list suitable job opportunities I had a phone call from the recruitment agency I spoke to about a particular job last week, and I now have an interview for that job tomorrow morning! Hooray!
These things make me nervous anyway, but in this case I'm extremely nervous. Getting this job would obviously mean I can easily apply for a personnummer (you can read about the trouble that caused me in September here ), and will probably make househunting much easier because we will have a guaranteed income. We haven't even started househunting yet, because we can understand that if two recent immigrants with no job between them wanted to rent from you you'd probably say no. It's not often that the outcome of a job interview affects whether or not you can be treated equally to everyone else in a country, but that kind of is the case here. So no pressure.
Obviously I'm taking this situation very seriously, and the rest of today will mainly be for research about the organisation, interviews and workplace culture in Sweden. I've already worked out how to turn my greatest weakness into a positive point, and I'm trying to take a very positive attitude, but without getting my hopes up.
Realistically I know I could do this job and do it well, I just have to make sure I'm as prepared as I possibly can be. Luckily Heli has also had the experience of coming from another country for a job interview in Sweden, and has now been working in this country for several years, so she's in a good position to give me some tips. I'm going to try not to stress too much today - I don't want to be a nervous wreck tomorrow morning. Getting this job would help us both so much, especially in terms of me getting a personnummer etc. So far we've had a really successful week, we have plans to hang out with our new friends both tomorrow night and Friday night, so I just need to trust that this success will continue tomorrow morning. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment