Pages

Thursday 22 January 2015

Language success, job failure

I'll get the negative part out of the way first! It appears I was unfortunately not successful in my job interview last week. I haven't heard from the recruitment agency yet, but I'm assuming this is the case because this morning I found the exact advert for the job re-posted, dated yesterday! I'm not surprised, I really didn't feel that the interview went well, but this is a new form of rejection I've never experienced before. It's a bit frustrating, but I was kind of expecting it, and actually I'm not completely sure I'd have really enjoyed working there anyway. Maybe it's for the best.




On a more positive note, yesterday I decided to watch a subtitled Swedish film I've seen a few times before, Fucking Åmål, which I really like. The last time I watched it was well over a year ago, long before I started to learn Swedish, so I wanted to see how much of the dialogue I could understand now. I thought it would also really be helpful to hear pronunciation and accents. Happily, I was able to understand a lot of sentences, and words within sentence, even without reading the subtitles, and this makes me feel more confident. I also found hearing the way that words are pronounced really helpful. I think this is something I need to work on, because I still think that understanding speech is one of my biggest problems. My confidence in speaking is growing every day and I'm so much less nervous than I was previously. It's kind of weird that this time last year I could not speak Swedish and had no intention of learning Swedish, and now I have this language in my head constantly.
Fucking Åmål is a good film with a happy ending, but I've seen other films by Lukas Moodysson that are a lot less uplifting. It's very 90s, which reminds me of when I was a kid. I'm keen to watch more films in Swedish though, as I really did find that watching it was beneficial for me. If anyone reading this has any good suggestions for films in Swedish please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment